Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Juice Fast

So I'd like to journal my experience doing a juice fast over the next few blogs. I have already tried to do it twice, and both times I "cheated" a little. So I will start by writing about what it involves and how I did but then I plan to do it for real with no cheating and write about my results.
If you are interested in doing one, you will need a juicer. I found my juicer on Craigslist for $50 and was super excited to get one so cheap. It isn't the best out there but the better ones are around 2-300 bucks! At the time I wasn't sure how much I was going to use it or if it was just going to sit and gather dust. Now, however, if I needed to buy another one for whatever reason I would be willing to spend a little more on a really good one cause I use it ALL the time! Mike thought it was stupid of me to buy one in the first place but guess what...yep, he is working on his first juice fast also! Along with my juicer I bought a used book on Amazon all about juicing and detoxing and it breaks it all down for you with step by step processes and recipes. I would also recommend anyone interested to watch the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix.
So to begin, you don't want to jump into strickly juice right from the start cause that would be a drastic change on your body. Also the plan that I followed is a Colon Cleanse, so a big part of the plan is a fiber mix (you can make your own from a homemade recipe but I use a fiber mix I buy from Melaleuca) and probiotics. The whole thing should last 7-10 days beginning with eatting only "alkaline" foods and then a few days straight of ONLY fresh juice from your juicer and then you end it by going back to only alkaline foods. Alkaline foods are vegetables, vegetable juices, good oils (coconut and olive) nuts and seeds, most legumes, fresh herbs, filtered water or herbal tea without sweetener, some fruit (lemon, limes, granny smith apples, berries etc). And all of this should be RAW. NO animal products at all (meats, milk, cheese etc), NO breads or pastas, NO caffine or sugar. Did I already mention it is tough? Now you can see why I had to cheat a little. But I'm confident that when I do it this next time I will NOT cheat. Why am I doing this? Because I am convinced that we stuff our bodies with garbage disguised as food and what is good for us no longer looks appealing anymore. I want to get away from all the artificial fillers that are sending people to the grave at an early age. I would like to rely on God's good Earth to nourish my (and my families) body not some man made chemical. God gave Adam a garden rich in plants and herbs to nourish him. Man kind were vegetarians until after the flood. We do not need meat at every meal to get the protein we need! I see so many young people suffering from the same diseases that were once considered only old peoples ailments. We are doing it to ourselves! And instead of turning to what God gave us to make us better, we turn to some kind of "pill". Just more chemicals added to what is already poluting our bodies, more toxins to clog us up. And so this detox/colon cleanse is meant to sweep it all away and give a new start. I couldn't eat this way forever but I plan to do it every so often as a "clean up". And in the process I have made some big changes in my everyday eatting and what I put in front of my kids.
I have to go to bed now, been up since 5:15am but I'll write about my experiences in the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment